Are you thinking about putting your boat away for the off-season? After a long summer of boating on Alberta, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan’s lakes it’s time to start thinking about winter boat storage. It has been a wet and hot summer across Western Canada, but as the cold winds rise and the seasons start to change, every Canadian must start to prepare for winter. Here are a few tips to help you winterize your boat, so it’s ready for next season.
- Clean your boat thoroughly, inside and out. This will help protect it from the elements and prevent any build-up of dirt or grime that could cause damage over time. Cleaning the exterior of your boat can also help prevent invasive species from hitchhiking on your boat from lake to lake.
- Wax the hull of your boat. This will create a barrier against water and salt, both of which can be damaging to the finish on your boat.
- Cover your boat with a tarp or shrink wrap. This will protect it from the elements and help to prevent any minor damage.
- Disconnect the battery and store it in a safe place. This will help to prevent any accidents or fires while your boat is in storage. Batteries consume residual power when connected to the boat. Disconnecting your battery can help to lengthen the lifespan of the battery.
- Drain all the fluids from your boat. This includes gas, oil, and coolant. This will help to prevent any leaks or spills while your boat is in storage.
- Store your boat in a safe place. This could be a garage, shed, or even a storage facility. Just make sure that it is away from the elements and is secure.
If you don’t store your boat properly over winter, there is a risk of it becoming damaged. The elements can be very harsh on boats, and if they’re not properly protected, they can suffer from corrosion, mold, and mildew. Additionally, if the boat isn’t properly secured, it could fall or be knocked over, which could cause further damage. By following the tips above, you can help to protect your boat and ensure that it’s in great condition when you take it out again next season.
Keeping your boat well maintained will help ensure that it stays in great condition. Take the time to winterize your boat properly, and it will be ready to hit the water again come springtime. That way, you can enjoy many more summers of boating fun.
At Wheelers RV and Boat Storage, we offer our customers a safe and secure place to store their boats during the off-season. Our location is convenient for anyone in Edmonton or St. Albert looking for short-term, seasonal, or over-winter vehicle storage. Contact us today to learn more about our services or to reserve a spot for your boat.